Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Green Lentil and Tomato Curry

This is a recipe I got from Molly's blog feel good, feel well which has been discontinued and I fear the recipe got lost somewhere in the blogosphere, which is a pity, since it is a very very tasty lentil recipe. Her new blog is called flyg fly lila nyckelpiga (fly fly little ladybird) and although it is in Swedish well worth a visit (if you can't read Swedish you can always use the google translator).
But back to the recipe; I only had to make few adaptations to veganize it, mainly exchanging the crème fraîche with soy creme and lemon juice. I very much liked the addition of dried apricots which gave the dish a very fine note.

So here is my vegan version:



Ingredients:

oil for cooking
1 onion, finely diced
about 8 dried apricots, cut into thin slices
curry powder (or homemade garam masala)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons soy creme
1/2 a teaspoon lemon or lime juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dry Puy lentils
some Thai basil for garnish (optional)

What to do:
  1. Wash and soak lentils for 2 to 3 hours; boil until tender.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan, fry the onions until golden.
  3. Add the pepper, apricots, and curry powder and stir for a minute or so.
  4. Add tomato paste and stir well.
  5. Add chopped tomatoes, soy creme, lemon juice, and mustard and cook for about 10 minutes.
  6. Add the lentils and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Garnish with some Thai basil.
  8. Serve on basmati rice.






5 comments:

  1. thanks for your comments and feedback! :) what fun that you liked the lentils. I'll have to try your version too :) Are you Swedish speakers or do you speak English? :)

    Have a nice week//Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Molly:
    Thanks Molly :)it's not very different to your version though ... if I got my Swedish right ;)
    I was on a dig on Gotland once and therefore took a semester Swedish language at uni. I can read fairly good, but writing ... I should do some more courses, I love your country, and language, and food, and archaeology, and that you have so many linen clothes *haha*

    ReplyDelete
  3. i see :) I love your country and food. I think you have more raw food and vegan :)

    glad you found my raw food blog. the pie is very good, hope you like it :) I have most desserts recipes but I think you can eat it anytime of the day :D

    I think you have translated my swedish right. when were you in Sweden?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I was in Sweden ages ago, during my undergrad studies. I had a lovely time there, Gotland is a very beautiful island and I also fell in love with nyponsoppa on cornflakes. Pity I can't get it here :( because it is far better than milk on cornflakes :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay :) I have not been at gotland yet :p nyponsoppa and cornflakes sounds yummy, maybe I would try it :) I have only ate it with vanilla icecream or with something called "mandelbiskvier" (it is like mini mini macaroons).

    do you not have nyponsoppa in england? not in the health food shop either? if you found rosehip powder you easily can make your own nyponsoppa! :)

    ReplyDelete