But back to the recipe; I only had to make few adaptations to veganize it, mainly exchanging the crème fraîche with soy creme and lemon juice. I very much liked the addition of dried apricots which gave the dish a very fine note.
So here is my vegan version:
oil for cooking
1 onion, finely diced
about 8 dried apricots, cut into thin slices
curry powder (or homemade garam masala)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons soy creme
1/2 a teaspoon lemon or lime juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dry Puy lentils
some Thai basil for garnish (optional)
What to do:
- Wash and soak lentils for 2 to 3 hours; boil until tender.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, fry the onions until golden.
- Add the pepper, apricots, and curry powder and stir for a minute or so.
- Add tomato paste and stir well.
- Add chopped tomatoes, soy creme, lemon juice, and mustard and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with some Thai basil.
- Serve on basmati rice.