Thursday, January 27, 2011

One can't get enough of Turkish food

I looked up my old photos and *gosh* did we make bad photos these days. But then there was no such thing as digital cameras then, and mine was a 'permanent loan' from my father. He got shaky and stopped doing photography, which was a pity, because he did astonishingly well (considering the technology he had to use). Here are two photos from Pamukkale. A photo on Acky's blog reminded me of this beautiful place. We either didn' see the colourful algae, or they were not around yet. All I remember are the beautiful calcite terraces:



But back to the food. I had leftovers from the Turkish feast we had and so I kept on cooking Turkish food, well almost...

Today we had Ispanakli Bulgur Corbasi (lentil-bulgur-spinach-soup). The original version is from Binnur's cookbook. I changed it a bit to accustom it to what I had in stock.


Yes, I know, the cup says tomato soup. But don't be tricked, it contained a wonderful and hearty Turkish soup. Here is the recipe (for 3-4 servings)

Ingredients

1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
1/2 cup bulgur, cooked
1 small onion
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 clove garlic
olive oil for frying
1 cup tomatoes, chopped (or from a can of polpa di tomato)
1 teaspoon harissa
4 cups vegetable stock
1-2 teaspoon cumin
salt, black pepper
mint (optional)
2 cups fresh spinach (or kale or swiss chard greens), chopped
1 organic lemon (because you want to use the peel)

What do do:

Sauté the onion in olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped garlic. When it smells nicely add the thyme and lentils, stir until the lentils are covered in oil. Add the crushed tomatoes, the harissa paste, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir well, then add the vegetable broth.
Cook until lentils are nearly done. Add bulgur, spinach and heat up well for about 5 minutes.
Put a lemon wedge on top before serving (don't forget this, as it adds immensely to the flavour).

I added a leek-and-silken-tofu pie which was so yummy (you have to ask me for the recipe, typing one is enough, I get easily bored *hehe*)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Torwen! Very happy you posted your pictures again, they're not better than you described! Maybe is due to the place: it's so wonderful and impressive that it's impossible not to appreciate it!
    I see turkish cuisine has completely got you, your soap is attractive and I can tell the same about the pie...waiting for the recipe...! :-) see you in Japan! Byeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamukkale looks really neat. I hear they've closed off access to the water now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Acky: Yes, if you stay away from the touristy places Turkey is a wonderful country. I hope I can go back one day

    @Psychgrad: I guess we were lucky then to be able to get so close :)

    ReplyDelete