Monday, July 26, 2010

Kaigarayama Shell-mound Museum and Kiyose City

On my way to the shell mound museum in Kiyosu I came across a small and obviously old shrine with beautiful woodwork and masonry:



And then I faced a long walk in Japan's scorching summer heat. The most important thing therefore is obviously to drink a lot of water or cold green tea. To find your constant tea supply you have to know where to find the next jidouhanbaiki. One of Japan's great inventions or adaptations, nearly every street corner has one; tadaaaa, a jidouhanbaiki:




After several stops at a jidouhanbaiki I finally arrived at the museum. I couldn't take pictures in the museum, so all I can present you is part of the Asahi shell mound and a reconstruction of a Yayoi house:




I met the nice archaeologist working at the museum and he let me have a look at some of his books, which was fabulous.

On my way back I came across the Kirin Brewery in Asahi, maybe not the best of all beers, but certainly famous beyond Japan:




On my way back to the station I took a glimpse at the Kiyosu castle. It was a nice castle, but it was already past 5 pm, so I couldn't visit it in more detail. Originally built between 1394 and 1427 by the head of the Shiba clan. The Shiba clan governed Owari, what is now the western half of Aichi Province. In 1555 Oda Nobunaga captured the castle killed the head of the Shiba clan and ended the Shiba rule. Later Ieyasu moved large parts of the castle to Nagoya to rebuilt Nagoya castle for his purposes. Since he also relocated temples, shrines and the status of capital itself to Nagoya, Kiyosu soon stopped thriving.


An elderly man decided to accompany me from the castle to the station, once he noticed that I speak reasonably well enough Japanese to satisfy his curiousity. He also showed me the statue of  Oda Nobunaga in Kiyosu Park:



No comments:

Post a Comment